Physics 225, General Relativity 2004

Prof: Ken Intriligator, Mayer Hall 5234. Office hours: Tues 3:30-4:30 and by appt.

Here is the final exam. and the solutions.

Hans Linblad asked me to let you know about his course on Riemannian geometry next quarter, which will include some GR, and which you could take without having had Math 250a. Also, he might be teaching a GR topics course next Fall, including his own research results about Einstein's equations.

Text: Spacetime and Geometry, by Sean Carroll.

Other recommended texts: A First Course in General Relativity by Bernard Schutz; General Relativity by Robert M. Wald; Gravity (An introduction to Einstein's General Relativity) by Jim Hartle. Gravitation and Cosmology Gravitation by Steven Weinberg; Gravitation by Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler.

Course time and place : TTh 11:00a-12:20p, Solis 111.

Homework: There will be several homework sets, and they'll count toward your grade. You can discuss the problems together, but the final thing handed in should represent your own work. Late HW policy: -25% if turned in by following lecture, no credit thereafter. It is essential to do the HW on a timely basis, and HW solutions will be posted after the following lecture. If you can't make it to lecture, you may put HW under my office door.

Final exam: There will be a final exam. It'll count for 25% of your grade, and the HW will count for the other 75%.

Fun links: History of GR      Sean Carroll's page     Baez tutorial      Testing the SEP

2004 Nobel Prize in Physics

Week# Topics (and link to notes) Homework (and link to solutions)
1 Special relativity. (Carroll ch. 1)   HW1 (Due Oct. 5)         solutions
2 Continue special relativity. HW2 (Due Oct. 14)        solutions
3 SEP, Geometry (Carroll ch. 2)   HW3 (Due Oct. 21)        solutions
4 Tensors, covariant derivatives   HW4 (Due Nov. 2)        solutions
5parallel transp, geodesics, curvature no new HW
6more curvature, Einstein's eqns. HW5 (Due Nov. 18)         solutions
7More Einstein's eqns 
8Schwarzschild solution 
9Geodesics in Schwarzschild. Perihelion precession. 
10Deflection of light. Black holes.